The Athol Senior Center is currently not open for public visits, though the office remains open and can provide many services to help you. Please call with any questions or for more information at (978) 249-8986.
Councils on Aging are the principal agencies of local government that serve the elderly. The three core responsibilities of the Councils on Aging are:
- To identify the needs of senior citizens along with the available resources within the community.
- To educate the Community at large in the challenges of aging and advocate for the needs of its senior citizens.
- To design, promote and put in place services that are needed and to coordinate the efforts of agencies which serve older people.
A few of the many programs offered at the Senior Center:
- Blood Pressure Clinics – held every Wednesday of the month
- Chronic Disease Self Management Program – Healthy Eating, Fall Prevention, Diabetes Workshops
- Flu Clinic – Flu vaccination available to all seniors. Next clinic in October
- Senior Tax Abatement Program – age 65 and over
- Senior Transportation – you must arrange your ride 48 hours in advance by calling 978-575-9966, M-F
- SHINE – serving health insurance needs of everyone
- Tax Assistance Program – free assistance with filing state and federal income taxes and circuit breakers
- Angel Gift Program – a holiday gift program
At the Athol Council on Aging
you can also find food assistance administered by the Food Bank of Western Mass. Brown Bag: Food for Elders Program
which provides a free bag of healthy groceries to eligible seniors once a month at local senior centers and community organizations.
- 82 Freedom St.
- Athol, MA 01331
Athol Senior Center:
- (978) 249-9001
- Dining Room/ Lunch Reservations
- (978) 249-8986
- Main Phone