Councils on Aging are the principal agencies of local government that serve the elderly. The three core responsibilities of the Councils on Aging are:
- To identify the needs of senior citizens along with the available resources within the community.
- To educate the Community at large in the challenges of aging and advocate for the needs of its senior citizens.
- To design, promote and put in place services that are needed and to coordinate the efforts of agencies which serve older people.
A few of the many programs offered at the Senior Center:
- Blood Pressure Clinics – held every Wednesday of the month
- Chronic Disease Self Management Program – Healthy Eating, Fall Prevention, Diabetes Workshops
- Flu Clinic – Flu vaccination available to all seniors. Next clinic in October
- Senior Tax Abatement Program – age 65 and over
- Senior Transportation – you must arrange your ride 48 hours in advance by calling 978-575-9966, M-F
- SHINE – serving health insurance needs of everyone
- Tax Assistance Program – free assistance with filing state and federal income taxes and circuit breakers
- Angel Gift Program – a holiday gift program
At the Athol Council on Aging
you can also find food assistance administered by the Food Bank of Western Mass. Brown Bag: Food for Elders Program
which provides a free bag of healthy groceries to eligible seniors once a month at local senior centers and community organizations.
- 82 Freedom St.
- Athol, MA 01331
Athol Senior Center:
- (978) 249-9001
- Dining Room/ Lunch Reservations
- (978) 249-8986
- Main Phone