The Amherst Family Center (AFC) operates a week day drop-in program for UMass and Hampshire County families offering an array of parenting education workshops and support groups, parent-to-parent peer support, and respite from the overall pressures of parenting. The core mission of the AFC is to empower women and men of diverse backgrounds to succeed as parents, grandparents, and caregivers by providing them with opportunities to connect with other families, participate in educational programs and engage in interactive cultural events. Parents receive information on child development, parenting, role modeling, and direct instruction on positive adult-child interactions. Children have the opportunity for early socialization experiences and are screened for developmental needs.
Other programs and services offered at the AFC include:
- Dinner On Us, a Monday evening parenting workshop series with an interactive cultural enrichment and a creative arts series
- Special Saturdays, offering interactive performances as well as arts and crafts activities
- Babysitting Options, assists families with young children in their search for childcare with access to a web-based bulletin board
- Child Care Tuition Assistance, provides undergraduate student tuition assistance to support either full day or part day Pre-K to 6th grade childcare
- And more...
is staffed with early childhood/parent educators as well as a coordinator and is open to any Hampshire County or University affiliated family with young children birth to 5 years.
- 1200 N. Pleasant St.
- North Amherst, MA 01002
- 41 Campus Center Way
- Room 428 Student Union Bldg., UMass OFR
- Amherst, MA 01003
- (413) 545-0865
- Office of Family Resources
- (413) 256-1145
- Main Phone
Amherst Family Center (UMass)
Main Phone: (413) 256-1145
1200 N. Pleasant St.
Agency: Family Programs / UMass Amherst
Program Fees: Free
Eligibility: The AFC is open to any Hampshire County or University affiliated family with young children birth to 5 years.